shobogan: (Default)
Sage ([personal profile] shobogan) wrote2017-12-13 06:19 am

Comic Recs: Babsgirl

bluethespiai asked: I just read Batgirl: Flawed Gems and loved it, so I was wondering what else you would recommend for Barbara!Batgirl? Thanks!

I have a humongous rec list for Babs I haven’t finished yet, but the Batgirl portion thus far:

Showcase Presents: Batgirl

They picked the worst cover for some reason, but this book is packed full of great adventures, from The Million Dollar Debut of Batgirl to Batgirl’s Last Case, where she decided to focus on preventing crime instead.

Batgirl: The Greatest Stories Ever Told

This one sports a much better cover! It collects issues from Detective ComicsBatman FamilyLegends of the DC Universe, and Batman Chronicles.

Batman Family

This series is set during Barbara’s time as a congresswoman, with college-aged Dick as her aide. Unfortunately, Comixology only has a few issues; if you can track more down, I encourage you to do so. It’s an incredibly fun series, and really showcases Barbara’s distinct strengths.

Batman - Batgirl

This oneshot by Kelly Puckett explores Barbara’s first encounter with the Joker. It’s tense, tragic, and ultimately triumphant.

Batman: Batgirl (Girlfrenzy)

Puckett wrote another story years later, this one focusing on Batgirl hunting down Victor Zsasz.

Birds of Prey: Batgirl/Catwoman

Batgirl and Catwoman team up to take down a murderer (and also rob him). The story is continued in Birds of Prey: Catwoman/Oracle.

Batman/Superman: World’s Finest
Barbara appears in the fifth issue to team up with Superman.